To my surprise, Kat who writes Travel.Garden.Eat and includes absolutely fabulous pictures in her posts, has nominated Backpacking Kids as a Liebster Blog. I’m not exactly sure what “Liebster” means, but I am honored that Kat finds my effort so far worthy of mention. Thank you, Kat! (And yes, the title of this post is an intentional reference to the movie, A Christmas Story, since it is that time of year.)
To keep the fun going, I am supposed to answer 11 questions Kat posted on her blog, and then choose 11 other blogs to nominate and post 11 questions of my own for those bloggers to answer. It may take me some time to do the other steps since I need to choose blogs with under 200 followers for this award, so I will post my nominees and my questions for them in a separate post later this week. In the meantime, here are my answers to Kat’s 11 questions:
A place you have never traveled to that is on your travel bucket list? Alaska. I have wanted to travel to Alaska since reading James Michener’s novel on Alaska in college. I actually planned a trip there once, but my boyfriend at the time who was planning to go with me broke his ankle shortly before the trip. I still have all of the materials (maps, itinerary, etc.) from that trip in a shoe box in my closet. Perhaps one day I will re-use them. It was a great trip plan!
- Book you are currently reading? I just picked up The Secret Life of Bees from the library yesterday. Looking forward to it!
- Have you ever bungee-jumped? No, and I have no desire to do that or sky-dive. I once watched a boyfriend sky dive and his parachute did not open as quickly as I expected. Apparently he had to spin around a bit to untangle it. It was scary to watch from the ground. I like being up high on a mountain, but I like to keep my feet firmly planted on the ground. I don’t like flying.
- Morning bird or night owl? Morning bird, definitely. I am usually up by 5:30 or 6 am, usually in bed by 9:30 or 10 (unless I am reading a really good book!)
- How long have you been blogging? I have blogged (is that a word?) a bit off and on. I had a blog at my previous place of employment a few years ago, and a write a blog currently for my husband’s software company. But Backpacking Kids is my first blog for fun. I just started it about three months ago.
- Which movie can you watch again and again? The Matrix and Star Wars
- One of your favorite quotes? “Happiness is not in our circumstance but in ourselves. It is not something we see, like a rainbow, or feel, like the heat of a fire. Happiness is something we are.” John B. Sheerin
- Your favorite recipe (in full or via link)? Polish Sausage Soup. My mom made this in the winter while I was growing up. It was always a favorite, and my kids and husband love it too. I often can’t wait until winter to make it. Maybe that is one of the reasons I live in CO…I can make this as early as September/October and as late as April!
1 lb. polish sausage (I often use 1 1/2 or 2 lbs!)
1 c. onion, chopped
2 c. celery with leaves, chopped
4 c. cabbage, shredded
2 c. carrots, sliced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. thyme
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1 Tbsp. salt (optional)
1 1/2 c. beef stock
5 c. water
3 c. potatoes, cubedIn a large kettle, add sausage, onions and celery. Cook until onions and celery are tender. Add remaining ingredients except potatoes. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Add potatoes and simmer 20 more minutes, covered. Soup is very good the first day, and even better left over!
- Pet peeve? My husband leaves every cabinet open in the kitchen and many times leaves things out on the counter (milk, half & half, etc.). I can always tell what he had to eat! Unfortunately, my son is starting to follow in his footsteps with this–I’m trying to nip it in the bud. It drives me nuts!
- If you could invite anyone to join you for dinner — fictional or real, from the past or the present — who would you invite? My mom and dad. They live in Florida (where I grew up), and I miss them very much. I wish they lived in CO, but I just can’t bring myself to leave the mountains. Can’t wait to see them at Christmas!
- Your favorite blog post — from your blog! My favorite blog post from my blog is I Walk Slow. It really gets to the whole reason I started this blog, to encourage parents to spend more time with their children outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, and other outdoor activities take some planning, and parents often have to be patient with children as their skills and willingness to participate slowly build. But it is so very worth it!