Last week Kat who writes Travel.Garden.Eat nominated Backpacking Kids as a Liebster Blog. I didn’t know what “liebster” meant at the time, but I have since learned that it comes from a German word meaning “dearest.” I know there are a LOT of blogs out there, and new ones starting every day. Sometimes is it hard to stay motivated to write when you think about the “competition” out there for our attention. So I am grateful to Kat for her kind comments and recognition.
The Liebster Blog award is for blogs with fewer than 200 followers. Here are the rules for the award:
- Link back to the blogger who gave you this award
- Post the award to your blog
- Answer the 11 questions asked of you.
- Nominate 11 people you think deserve the award and link to them from your post.
- Go to their pages and tell them they have been chosen (no tag backs).
I have already responded to the first three items in the list above (see post It’s a Major Award). So now I need to follow through with the last two items, nominating other blogs and letting them know about the award.
Though there are many blogs I follow that deserve recognition, I tried to choose those I enjoy that appear to have fewer followers. In some cases, I am not certain that they meet the fewer than 200 criteria, as numbers of followers are not listed on all blogs. So without further delay, here are my nominees:
- No I Will Not Carry That Rock, Alisa writes entertaining stories of her adventures with and without her children. This is also my favorite title of any blog. If you have ever hiked or backpacked with kids, you know exactly why it is so funny—and so true!
- Virtually Nomadic, Cathy writes of her travels across the U.S., and takes beautiful and inspiring photographs. I want to be like her when I grow up.
- Backpacking with Boo, Birch writes about hiking and backpacking with her toddler, Boo. I love how Boo’s personality really comes across on this blog.
- Outtherekids, This blog is inspiring because the trips they take are more diverse and seem more exotic than the trips I take with my kids here in CO. I love reading about all the places they go and dreaming of going there myself one day.
- Bearpacking, This is a very honest, to the point blog by a young man who likes his gear. Since I have to buy gear for three spending as little as possible, I often get my gear fix vicariously through him.
- Proactive Outside, This blog wins my vote for the best tagline of any blog, “Because life is too short to be an indoor cat.” Awesome, isn’t it? Wish I had thought of that! Don’t miss Bob’s inspirational post about his brother, Remembering Mike.
OK, so I only came up with six nominees instead of 11. That’s just because I don’t have as much time as I would like to discover new blogs, and many of the ones I read clearly have a larger following. Also, Kat already nominated a couple of others I would have nominated!
For the nominees, here are the 11 questions to answer about yourself:
- What is your dream vacation?
- Where do you plan to travel in 2013?
- What is your favorite piece of outdoor gear?
- Why do you blog?
- What is your favorite movie, book?
- What do you do for a living?
- What is on your favorite coffee mug?
- What is one of your favorite quotes?
- What is your favorite trail/backpacking recipe (in full or via link)?
- If you could invite anyone to join you for dinner — fictional or real, from the past or the present — who would you invite and why?
- What is your favorite blog post — from your blog?
Thank you for enriching my life, Liebster Blog nominees. Please keep writing!